I’ve been tweeting and Facebook-ing for four years on pre and postnatal exercise. A few of the tips I share have had more than their fair share of discussion, retweeting and liking…
So to save your trawling social media for advice on exercise post-pregnancy, here are my super-tips – a bit like super-foods (?)
- Do something active every day
- Celebrate what you have done, instead of lamenting what you haven’t.
- Declare you’re getting fit, get your supporters on board
- Talk to other mummies, encourage them even if they don’t look like they need it
- Remind yourself that your body made your baby. It’s amazing.
- Take photos and measurements now, embrace them as your start-point, and love watching them improve.
- Say yes to invitations to exercise with other mums
- Be nice to yourself – sleep, eat , exercise, socialise
- If something doesn’t feel right with your postnatal body, ask a medical professional.
- Be a positive force on your community, find friends, inspire friends, and be inspired to actively embrace motherhood together
- Wear 2 bras if you don’t have a sports bra
- Check your buggy handle is level with your belly button
- Involve your partner in your get fit plan (six-minute six-pack workout anyone?)
- Avoid backache, put your changing table higher than you think
- Give someone a big kiss today